Monday, November 30, 2009

SEO via meta data Social media. Did I mention I discovered Digg

I have been neglecting my blog in favour of watching my son play tennis and also to learn about Digg. Digg seems to come up in a lot of websites when it comes to web site apraisal.

To "Digg" a site is quite literally what it sounds like. You can "Digg" a specific page and then describe what that page is about. This links through to the Digg website and does wonders for your SEO. Our Alexa ratitngs have gone up another 100,000 and it is my intention to move up the ranks by at least 200,000 each week. That means that in 13 weeks we will be within 100,000 Alexa rankings.

I have decided that I am going to start some more technical SEO as well. Namely the meta dat on each page. This is not as complex as it sounds but it is dull and time consuming. Links via social media are great for getting spotted by search engines. We have been indexed by all major search engines already. Google were hot on the mark and have found all 203 pages, but that is mainly down to my Tweeting and blogging. The others have only found me this past week. The other smaller ones I will leave to organically process.

The meta data is not as hot as it used to be but is still important as this is one of the things that the search engines look for when a search term is entered. The main meta data is the title the keywords and the description. A site is priorited to a close matching title to the search terminology. Keywords should be researched to fing the most accurate or related word which must accuraely depict the content of the page. Equally the description must match the content. Search engines scan meta descriptions, titles and keywords against the site pages. If they do not match then the will simply not post them high up in the results. Clearly when this meta data is limited to a finite number of characters, then it is in the interest of the site owner to drive the right traffic to the site rather than mislead the wrong ones!

Wow, I think my brain is in overload. I now am off to Tweet my website. Yap Yap OK UK free classifieds and shop hosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment