Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The price of SEO

Professional SEO is so expensive. I have read books and paid for SEO expertise in the past with seemingly unmeasurable results.

Time is a big factor in search engine recognition. Any new meta data added via the experts is unlikely to yield instant results which begs the question "Does it work?"

Clearly the more meta data and keywords has to be better than none. But is this something that you need to pay a stranger to your business?

There are 6 key areas of SEO
1 Content
2 Keywords
3 Page Optimisation
4 Submissions
5  Links
6  Time

Clearly the first 2 are going to be understood by the business owner far more than any SEO expert. At one time there were many tricks used by experts to get the search engines to see them first. Now however writing reams of non sensical garbage will not only not work. It may also get you un-indexed. Therefore as long as you relate your keywords to your content with some ( but not too much) repetition then that will be far more valuable. Good information for your customers may mean that they index you as a good web source.

Page optimisation can be a little more complex as there are certain programs,features etc that search engines hate or can't read such as java, framed sites and pictures. I don't have the time to write a book but I can recommend one by Peter Kent from the Dummies series called wait for it SEO for Dummies!

Submissions is what it says it is and can be done manually with little pain to the major ones and you can allow organic recognition from the smaller ones. It depends on your resources!

Links. This can be misunderstood but both internal and external links are valuable. A sitemap is a very good internal link mechanism which search engines can see easily. External links attached to good keywords are also highly valuable. Click here is not a good keyword.

Anyone reading my blogs will know that I am a big user of social media and implement links across them all with links to various pages of my site. If you look on recent blogs, I rarely miss an opportunity to link UK FREE Classified to my home page! Click here (will take you to Facebook) but clearly does not tell Google et al anything!

Lastly, time, which we have no contrl over but having all the other key seo tools in place should reward you with higher rankings.

OK I have simplified this with a subject which is actually not that simple, not clearly understood but must be logical. After all we are talking about algorithyms which is just a posh word for mathamatical formula.  

Having read my book, done some good keyword anaysis, added some content and dabbled with social media, I am ready to implement some of my findings, as soon as my developer talks me through it.

In a moment of overwhelment ( it fits but I don't think its a word), I thought I would email a couple of SEO experts. It just so happens that my 10 week old site ranked better than theres, now I'm no expert but.....................

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment