Thursday, October 7, 2010

Book Worms

YapYapOK Free Classifieds 208k Google UK Page 1 position 4

I am a bit of a book worm and have been systematically enjoying one good book after another.

My new favourite authors are Steve Martini and Mark Gimenez.  I also recently received as presents the first 2 of the three books by Steig Larrson.  The second one leaves on a bit of a cliff hanger. 

Since I buy all my books from an animal charity as second hand then the third in the series has proven a little difficult to obtain, as I could not wait to find out what happens to Lisbeth Salander,  I has to look at a book review to see if she at least survives into the third and final book.  I have in the past been guilty of reading the final pages of a book if my patience is stretched and always wish I hadn't.

Whist I love reading, trying to get my son reading books has proved very testing.  I did all the right things and bought a huge variety of childrens and previously baby books, dedicating time at bedtime to read.  He always loved it, often demanding rereads of The Gruffalo and many of the Roald Dhal books.

The issue comes after the age of 7.  The abundance of girls books is clear to all of us who have boys.  I know I have been reading forums recommending books for boys and there are many parents of boys asking where they can find books to inspire their sons to read.

Harry Potter may have a great following, but Henry hates all the bizarre names and loses site of who is who.  I sympathise with that since I too struggle with this.

On advice I bought a Famous Five book.  Whilst I enjoyed these books enormously, they are now so dated that they simply do not hold the same appeal.  The Magic Tree House series suits some, but not Henry, or for that matter me.

Its almost as if I know instinctively what he would enjoy, the same intrigue and adventure of Enid Blyton, with boys as the main characters with normal easy to follow names.  So if anyone has any ideas, please share them.

My time at work has been disproportionately compromised by my search.

YapYapOK Free Classifieds - A new class of Free Ads

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment