Friday, December 11, 2009

Tweeting in the rain

Tweeting is very slow today.

There is rain and there is rain in Cyprus. It renders telecommunication back to pole waving from the hills. No smoke signals because of the rain!
As quickly as I Tweet via bit.ly my server goes. So I am left currently with 3 windows and several tabs open all in various stages of admin.

I am currently cordinationg a list of emails from all the student unions in the UK. Some of these sites are hugely progressive with widgets and app style buttons. Many are on Facebook and Twitter and some well staffed ones have Blog editors and forums. Others have even monitised theirs with banner ads. The less inclined are using 3rd party agents to do it for them! Thats fine but they don't capitalise as much as they could since digital agents invariably cream a significant percentage.

So it comes as a surprise to see some student union websites barely updated with no email details at all often just a map on how to find them. I thought students were at the forefront of technology. Not at all given to traipsing around campus looking for their local SU office particularly when they could still be in bed recovering from the previous nights party.

Anyway this is not so much about social medai as it is about who is using them. Less than 30% of the student unions I found had a presence on Twitter and only a few more had Facebook pages. So what does this tell us. I am not sure. Could it be that there is another social media site for me tey to discover favoured by the Students. Once again answers on a postcard!

2 comments:

  1. I think they are all on Facebook, and in the same way that Alumni sites really struggled to get ex students to sign up in the face of the then all powerful Friends Reunited, the student unions (A closed shop remember, but not a very active union) will have a very uphill task to keep them off Facebook.

    Just an opinion!

    Oh, I don't send postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot beleive I only just saw this. Thanks Iain my internet guru!

    ReplyDelete