Friday, September 10, 2010

Avoiding the Sandbox

YapYapOK Free Classifieds 201k

I have been revewing the stats of the site and we are up by over 30%, therefore the Alexa rank must be to do with the site speed.  The problem I have just now is understanding why.

What amazes me is that Alexa rank has a baring on ad revenue.  As a business i would not care at all how long a site took to load.  If they were getting high visit numbers that would be my primary concern.  After all viewers are happy to wait for the site to load it must be worth waiting for.  


Alexa also suggests that this slow load will likely affect your position in the search engine ranking, clearly not the case here.  So if Google has not penalised us, why would Alexa?
Our SERP has slightly dropped, not as much as I had expected and I am hoping that it is as a result of the recent directory submission service.  We are down 3 places on Free UK Classifieds and 3 places on Free Classifieds.  In general we slip over 10 places during link indexing, so I still am unsure if Pheonix on Fiverr carried out the submissions or not.  If we climb bac over the next day or so then I will have to assume he has and right the work off.  I will not be able to review his work as I cannot give a recommend when he has lost the proof of his submissions.  It would not be an honest evaluation.

I am trawling through the web 2.0 sites that I set up for my link wheels.  Whilst I disabled the "manipulated" links which saw the YapYapOk Free Classifieds site sandboxed I can still post no end of Free Classifieds in all of them whenever I choose.

The thing that most troubles me is that I saw a clear sandbox when Google dropped the site.  This happened twice.  The first time we implemented more than one SEO technique.  After I de-linked and changed the meta data we climbed back.  So when I relinked the wheel and was sand boxed within days it was clear that these "false" links were to blame.  This is fair enough, I was never really happy with the idea of linking non Free Classifieds sites with this keyword. 

So, the thing that bothers me, is how easy it would be to get a site sandboxed.  Forget hacking, sandboxing is very damaging to a website.  Not appearing in a reasonable SERP means that you can kiss goodbye your visitor numbers, your profits, your business.  I am sure that Google will catch up with this and disregard these links making it a pointless waste of time rather than a capital offense. 

YapYapOK Free Classifieds - so much more than just a Free ads website!

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment