Friday, September 17, 2010

Site Speed

YapYapOK Free Classifieds

Its been a frenetic couple of days but I have now got to the bottom of our dropped SERP.  We have lost our page rank due to site speed.  I have run some analysis on this and bizarrely one of the biggest contenders in our site reduction is the Alexa code which is costing us a massive 4 seconds.  The discussion over if Google should penalize is irrelevant since it does.  Many argue that relevancy is far more important than speed, Google defend this by saying that faster speed provides a better web experience for users.

So comply or die is the message here.

You can use this program to run a speed test against any website  http://www.webpagetest.org

Identifying the problem is great but it is not something that I can rectify.  This causes some panic as I have spent hours daily for months to get us to page 1 only to have been penalized by something I cannot remedy.  Since me developer extraordinaire is currently "holidaying" I am at a loss as to what to do.

Instinctively I want this fixed ASAP.  Its affecting Alexa, SERP and crucially visitor numbers. So now I need to find someone trustworthy and cheap who will pull out all the stops for little money, suggestions welcome!

YapYapOK Free Classifieds - ironing out the glitches!

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment