Saturday, March 13, 2010

Social Responsibility

A recent advert on YapYapOK prompted me to write a book review. The advert was for the book The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This is completely off topic, but it is Saturday!

The book is a powerful story about life in Afghanistan. The story tells much more about the Afghan people under the Taliban, their culture and their integrity in spite living in extreme poverty or escaping to the west having left everything they ever owned.

It brings me back to one of the things my mother has maintained throughout my life, "people are essentially good". Sometimes it appears as if the reverse is true, but if you take the time to evaluate any situation, as a race we shine. We rally together in the face of disaster to help save lives & bring aid to those in desperate need. I am quite a sensitive soul & I believe that if we are in a position of power, then it is our moral duty to give some of our excess resources.

I hope that I have illustrated this in the way that I conduct myself. It is of vital importance to me that YapYapOK provides socially, the curse is really knowing which direction to channel resources.

I used to be a big animal charity supporter. I no longer agree with the way the RSPCA is run. I hated the way they fought a ruling supporting a family member who contested her fathers will. It was unnecessary and inhumane. I should imagine it was also very bad for PR. The RSPCA is one of the richest charities in the world, clearly the British love their animals, but recent events draw me to conclude that the RSPCA conforms much more to goverment standards then it does in representing animal welfare.

I still love animals and with a never ending pot of money I would still support them. Since I became a mother, my priorities have changed. I am now much more likely to support child welfare charities than any other. The problem is knowing which ones.

So, please support us, just join up and list your ads. Its free!

Our website generates revenue from personal numbers, (limited to UK sellers), By implementing this on your advert, we can support others!

We will be generating a similar number system in the US in the future. It is not mandatory, we hope that business who host shops will utilise it. Perhaps they can offer competitive pricing to compensate the higher call costs.

YapYapOK free shop hosting & Classified listing

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment