Thursday, May 27, 2010

Obsessing the rank!

YapYapOK Free Classifieds Alexa Global 304k Uk Free ads 25k

Such is my obsession with rankings of UK Free Classifieds I actually check them in the middle of the night.

I click repeatedly on the search box on the Alexa website until it has yielded to my demands with some upward momentum.  Sometimes this happens very early in the day making it a welcome report on my daily blog.  The last couple of days have left me waiting until the end to see any movement.

My impatience leads me to look at other sites whose rankings I also check to see if they have moved in case we have not progressed.  I am fairly certain that on any given day I can reel off the current Alexa ranks of at least a dozen sites which even the publisher would have trouble with.

The question is then, just how important is Alexa?

I still don't really know.  I do know that digital ad companies seem to place a lot of weight on it and demand a higher premium from  customers appearing on well ranked sites.

Clearly a well ranked site is getting more traffic, hence the ad premiums, but is that because they are well marketed or because they comply to a complex algorithym?

My guess is that its a little of everything, and guessing I am.  Since I create a huge number of anchor text links every day, update my web site content every day, Tweet every day and receive several hundred unique visitors every day, I think I've covered all bases.

Should anyone have an inkling of why else we care about our rankings ( surely if we are getting the visitors it doesn't much matter) then please let me know!
Mad that I am obsessed with something whose importance passes me by.  I can only say that I am driven by reaching my goal, not the prize at the end of it. Our UK Free Classifieds is 200k off target for this year.  If anyone wants to help drive our ranking just click on this link for FREE ADS.

YapYapOK UK Free Classifieds - not just a free ad site.

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment