Sunday, April 11, 2010

Food is an important part of a balanced diet

YapYapOK Alexa 727,935.  Growth very small but growth nontheless!

Last night I watched an interview of Jamie Oliver on the Oprah show.

Jamie Oliver deserves his success more than anyone else on tv.  Why? Because he keeps giving back, even in the face of adversity.  He started with Fifteen, then he went on to school dinners.  What was most surprising was the resilience that Jamie had from the parents of these school children.  Clearly they were too lazy to educate their childrens palate.  If that was me I would welcome someone elses efforts. 

He shines not just in his actions but in his non judgement.  He never criticises, on the contrary he excuses them and pushes them onwards with  kindness.  I don't have his qualities. 

I remember a conversation I had with my sons health visitor when my son was little.  She was leaving the profession and I had lent on her a couple of times and found her very supportive.  I expressed sadness at her departure. 
"The problem is Tammy, you don't see my job from the other side.  The strain is enormous and their are too many parents that don't care.  On top of that I am now expected to stand outside supermarkets preaching the virtues of fruit and veg.  I mean there is not a person alive that doesn't already know what they should be eating and what they should be feeding their children. I didnot study so hard to end up handing out leaflets to the ignorant"

I agree with this, hence my lack of empathy.  The only real argument I could see for feeding children rubbish was when the parents on the poverty line were able to buy pizza at 50 cents each.   However it all comes down to priorities.  Its fine to compromise diet occassionally, so long as it does not become the norm.

I wish that their were more Jamie Oliver's in the world.  I wish I could be more like him.  One of the things he mentioned was that there had been several generations of parents who had done food badly.  He was lucky to have come from a family of foodies.  I suppose that I too was lucky as my mother is an excellent, (qualified) chef.  Perhaps without this direction I may have ended up more like the subjects of his shows.

Hmm a little empathy perhaps.

YapYapOK recipe forum will now be a priority for me. I will start pricing up some of them too.  Please feel free to publish any recipes that you have.  You will notice that my recipes are not diet food.  They are however balanced and made with fresh produce.

YapYapOK shop hosting and free classified website

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment