Saturday, April 10, 2010

Welcome to the Church of the Holy Cabbage. Lettuce pray

YapYapOK Alexa 733,584.

Desperate to get below 500,000 now.  I am allowing a little over 2 weeks for that.

My blog has been put off whilst I was having a disaster in the kitchen.  A good friend is coming over for dinner this evening so I am preparing a mousaka, roast tomato salad and bread.  It started off OK.  My aubergines were grilled in olive oil, untill I started eating them and had to prepare some more.  I removed the lamb from the fridge to find that I only had 500g, my recipe calls for 750g (see mousaka on the YapYapOK recipe forum), I wanted 1 kilo, (he's a big eater) and I was hoping to have some left over for tomorrow as we are off on another mammoth walk.

My frustration commanded that I immediately call my husband to ask "HOW MUCH LAMB DID I ASK YOU TO GET" ?
"1/2 kilo"
"NO, I ASKED FOR A KILO"
"NO, I checked at the butcher I called and you said 1/2 a kilo"
Cross, I put the phone down.  You know that moment when realisation dawns and you know he's right.  I meekly called back with an apology and my excuse.  Thats what happens when they change from one bloody measuring system to another.  My brain is too full to think this out properly.

The next disaster was when I finely chopped the celery.  Something soft and squishy and only some of it identifiable.  Since I had clearly finely minced whatever maggotty thing it was I had to start again.  I then forgot to add the peppers ( I never forget ingredients), so I have resorted to finely slicing them coating them in seasoning and olive oil and laying on top of the mince mixture to bake before I stir them in.  The mix is a mix as I resorted to 250g of minced pork to bulk it out.  It will be fine.

I have always added grated carrot and celery to mince mixtures, its great to create a stock within the dinner but also to feed vegetable adverse toddlers.  They develope a palate for vegatables without really knowing it.  Having said that we never have bland boiled veg so I hope that Henry would have developed a taste for them anyway.  I am evangelical about nutrition, in so much that we always have balanced food.  That way we can have treats without feeling guilty.  I also think that natural produce is better than the alternatives.  I wouldn't even bake a cake with margerine.  We adore all dairy to the fullest, our butter bill is higher than any smokers cigerette spend. 

My family have a history of serious heart disease, so you may consider this irresponsible, but I have had all the blood tests and my good and bad cholesterol are only outstanding in how good they are.  I am convinced that this is because of balance.  We eat full fat products with plenty of veg, olive oil and alcohol.  No preservatives, or as few as possible.  I never buy jars of anything.  Tinned pulses and tomatoes are all fine.  If my son has a coke which he is allowed twice a week, it cannot be diet with poisonous aspartame.  My god I sound like a Sargent major.

I am a control freak.  I hate Henry eating at other peoples houses too often if they eat junk.  I hope he meets and marries an excellent cook who has the same values regarding feeding her family, yes of course he will cook too.  Nutrition is the most fundamental and important thing a parent provides.  I would consider myself a failure as a mother if I did not provide or ensure this was provided for my son.

Its also incredibly selfish not to enhance your childs palate.  I cannot tell you how many times I have other peoples kids over for tea and we have to re evaluate and compromise our evening meal.

Wow this maybe a little provocative.  if you don't agree, please dont comment.  I will take it personally.  Just the other day I received an email from Stumble Upon to say I have spammed them.  It upset me all evening.

For more recipes which I intend to add to soon, go to the YapYapOK recipe forum
YapYapOK free classified and shop hosting.

And for links and luck and alexa - YapYapOK

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment