Thursday, April 15, 2010

Twitter is capitalising!

YapYapOK Alexa 708,852 - pulling teeth!

Actually its not so bad, it appears that Alexa have changed their algorithm so there is often a big change in rank.  Clearly that is good when it works in your favour.  To stay still however suggests that we are covering all bases.  We are targeting traffic through advertising, creating inward links, updating content regularly and working the social media.  Should they revert to the old algorithim then we will be at an advantage.

I have seen this happen several times even during my short seo experience.  Webmasters complain that despite attracting more traffic then other sites their rankings have reversed whilst the lesser visited sites climb.

My theory is that this enables newer sites with few visitors and lower budgets to get noticed and thereby create an opportunity to get noticed.  The system must favour commercial enterprise since without it they would be running charities.   For example, take Twitter.  I have been wondering how they work and where they make their money.  I have theorised for a long time that they must be looking long term when they have reachedthe masses before they capitalise.  True enough, they have now announced that they are rolling out sponsored Tweets for businesses.  I have not looked at these fully yet but they appear to stand for everything that Twitter currently opposses.  These sponsered Tweets will be labelled so that all Twitterers can see that they are promotional.  If they are not interesting enough then Twitter will remove them, they can measure this in several ways, one being retweets.   That suggests that most of our Tweets are uninteresting since very few are actually retweeted.  All this will do is create a work force or third party agents who you can sign up to retweet promo tweets on auto to an audience who has no interest in them.  I know that this is not their only measure of successful Tweets but  all measures can be frigged.

YapYapOK
favour getting the Twitter following up.  Whilst this traffic is hit and miss it is a numbers game.  The more footfall I get from Tweeting, the more traffic I get.  Since YapYapOK is a sales site, potentially everyone with a computer is a customer.  In the case of YapYapOK it is such a wide audience that it all counts.  I think that if Twitter sold followers, with several attached packages such as locality, subject, numbers and untargeted then that would be a far better way of enabling business to market their product or service.

It would then be up to the individual to opt out of these lists.  Perhaps I am wrong, I wonder if they asked their audience first.  My guess is no.  Twitter marketeers know that to get a decent following usually results in a higher click through.  Consequently we are all searching Google for ways to improve our following.  The results are endless, there are a huge number of Twitter exchanges and Twitter adders, of which I am a fan, that claim to increase your following on auto pilot.  They exist only to appease demand.

I doubt that I will pay to use Twitter.  I think that playing the numbers game will yield better results.  Lets see!


YapYapOK free classifieds
YapYapOK free shop hosting

Posted via email from Yap Yap OK. Daily Blog of the UKs superior FREE classified site

No comments:

Post a Comment